NHTSA Investigating Ford F-150s For Brake Issues - Ford F150 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

NHTSA Investigating Ford F-150s For Brake Issues

Ford is being probed by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration over possible brake issues for their F-150 models.

Around 282,000 F-150 vehicles may be affected by this potential problem, more specifically, the 2015 and 2016 models that has a 3.5-liter engine. Owners are filing complaints with the NHTSA and if you’re interested, they can be viewed on Car Complaints along with other grievances that was not lodged with the safety regulator.

These brake complaints cover a range of problems including a sudden and complete loss of braking power. One owner from Park Ridge, IL, felt no reduction in speed even when the brake pedal was pressed all the way to the floor. Luckily, there has been no injuries or deaths related to these complaints.

A recall is necessitated when a vehicle or an item of said vehicle does not meet with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, or if there is a safety-related defect in the vehicle. According to the NHSTA, a safety-related defect includes “any defect in performance, construction, a component, or material of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment.” Failing brakes certainly qualifies, especially if it is as widespread as we are led to believe.

Ford is cooperating with federal safety officials and we’ll have to wait for their final decision.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2016, 11:51 PM

I can understand if it's a bad batch from one year, but when the problem is found in models from two years, that means the problem is a recurring one. Hopefully it doesn't appear in the newer F-150 models.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 02:57 PM

I really hope they find a way to remedy this for good. That's a big point when you say that the problem is recurring and that can end up causing quite the issue.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 02:30 PM

this can put someone in a very scary situation since if your towing a load on the highway or even local roads, not having your brakes come on when you need them can really put you at a disadvantage, it's the last thing you need with an extra 3k+ LBS.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:40 PM

I thought I had enough of a bad visualization before, now I'm imagining if I were to be hauling my boat or something ! You can be hurting a heck of a lot of people very darn quickly.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 01:55 PM

No doubt.

Ford is super lucky there hasn't been any fatalities or anything that that resulted in bad press and law suits much like what Toyota had to go through and some other car makers.

Going forward anything that happens (injury, death, etc.) will fall on the owners themselves for not taking action soon enough.

Get your F150's checked out guys!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 11:43 AM

That's it man, I keep telling people all the time. When a recall is issued, go and get it taken care of. A lot of people get these letters or whatever and take it lightly because everything is okay "at the moment"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page